The Government & Industry Interoperability Group (GIIG) aims to help the built environment industry deliver, and benefit from, interoperable information. It is doing this by developing a standard interoperable approach to the:
- Presentation and
- Exploitation of asset information.
This is needed across the contract line and within organisations, during the whole asset lifecycle, and with an associated audit trail.
The many decisions organisations make require managed information of a known quality that is appropriately accessible to the organisation and its supply chain. When this is achieved, organisations are able to understand what information they have and need, where it is located and who has access to it.
People can work more efficiently and effectively, and organisations are better able to meet their objectives, including statutory duties, such as their duty of care to staff, building occupiers and the environment.
During the lifecycle of an asset, information is provided by many stakeholders, each playing an important part. There are many exchanges of information, and many technologies may be used.
The Information Management Platform Assessment and Checklist Tool (IMPACT)
The ISO 19650 series (Organization and digitization of information about buildings and civil engineering works, including building information modelling) and supporting UK BIM Framework highlight the importance of digital information management in relation to physical assets. While this can be achieved using a single technology, in reality most organisations need to rely on using multiple systems. An Information Management Platform enables an organisation to achieve an ISO 19650 compliant information management strategy that can be progressively assembled from existing, and, if necessary, new enterprise systems.
IMPACT allows organisations to assess:
- how far current organisational systems go in delivering an Information Management Platform, including requirements for managing sensitive information; and
- gaps that need to be addressed.
- Guidance note - JCT Design & Build16-05-2022Download
- Guidance note - NEC4 (Engineering and Construction Contract June 2017)16-05-2022Download
- Environment Agency Information Management Platform Case Study 28-02-2022Download
- Information Management Platform guidance document07-01-2022Download
- Government & Industry Interoperability Group GIIG glossary10-11-2021Download