Ongoing Personnel Security
While pre-employment screening helps ensure that an organisation recruits trustworthy individuals, people and their circumstances and attitudes change, either gradually or in response to events.
CPNI’s Insider data collection study identified :
- Over 75% of the insider acts were carried out by staff who had no malicious intent when joining the organisation, but whose loyalties changed after recruitment
- In many circumstances the employee undertaking the insider act had been in their organisation for some years prior to undertaking the activity and exploited their access opportunistically
CPNI’s collection of ongoing personnel security guidance and tools can be used to help an organisation develop and plan effective practices for countering the insider threat and maintaining a motivated, engaged and productive workforce.
The application of good ongoing personnel security principles adds huge value to physical and technical security measures in a cost effective manner, promoting good leadership and management and maximising people as part of the security solution.
The point of exit is a significant stage in the employee lifecycle from a security perspective. There are a variety of reasons why an employee might be leaving an organisation and some of these reasons may give rise to a risk of confidentiality, integrity and availability of critical assets being compromised. Therefore it is important that effective exit and legacy controls are in place to detect and prevent any insider behaviours during the notice period and beyond.
This exit procedure guidance has been designed to support security managers, human resources advisers and others in your organisation responsible for exit procedures to encourage them to implement an effective process which helps to minimise the risks posed by employees leaving an organisation.
The implementation of a formal and thorough procedure for all staff and contractor departures will ensure the appropriate actions are taken to protect the organisation without unduly disrupting the employer-employee relationship.
The pages below will take you to further information.
- Insider data collection study – report of main findings
- Ongoing Personnel Security - briefing sheet
- Ongoing personnel security - Infographic
- Ongoing Personnel Security - A Good Practice Guide Edition 3
- Personnel Security in Remote Working – A Good Practice Guide
- Personnel Security in Remote Working - Briefing Sheet
- Personnel Security in Offshore Centres - Briefing Sheet
- Personnel Security in Offshore Centres - Guidance
- Personnel Security – Are You Thinking About It?